When looking out on the skyline of the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, the Russian Orthodox Convent of the Ascension and its striking 64-meter belfry are unmistakable. This 19th century church was built at the highest point on the Mount of Olives in the neighborhood of a-Tur and is the hillside’s tallest structure. It was constructed near the site where it is believed that Jesus Christ ascended to heaven 40 days after his resurrection and is named in dedication to this event. According to tradition, the convent is also the site on which the head of John the Baptist was found by two Syrian monks in the 4th century. Today the convent is administered by the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem and is the home to a sisterhood of nuns from around the world. The location of the Convent of the Ascension has been a place of worship for centuries. In the 5th century, during the Byzantine period, the site was the location of two Armenian churches. It is believed that one of these churches was built on the orders of Helena, the mother of emperor Constantine, after witnessing the two Syrian monks make the discovery of the head of John the Baptist on the site. Mosaic floor dating to the time of the Byzantine church was uncovered during the construction of the current convent and is preserved there today. The current convent was built between 1870 and 1887 by Archimandrite Antonin Kapustin as part of the expansion of the Russian presence in the holy land. When he died in 1894, Antonin was buried on the grounds of the convent and his grave can be found just to the left of the entrance to the church. The Convent of the Ascension complex is home to the Church of the Ascension and the Chapel of Saint John the Baptist, as well as a pilgrim’s hostel. The grounds of the Convent are known for their beautifully kept gardens and olive grove that offer a feeling of tranquility and serenity away from the hustle and bustle of Jerusalem. It’s most recognizable feature in the compound is the free-standing bell tower. The square tower, with its sharp pointed steeple, contains an eightton bell that was made in Russia. At the time of the construction of the convent the bell was pulled to Jerusalem on a cart all the way from the port in Jaffa. It was the first Christian bell to ring in the city of Jerusalem during the Ottoman period. Located in the center of the courtyard is the Russian Orthodox Church of the Ascension, which was built in a Neo-Byzantine style. Within the church there are flagstones that are believed to have belonged to the 5th century Byzantine churches. According to tradition, the stains on the stones are believed to be the blood of the nuns slaughtered during the Persian conquest of 614CE. Just behind the church is a rock surrounded by a blue fence. It is believed that the Virgin Mary stood on this rock as Jesus ascended to heaven. To the north of the Church of the Ascension, past a small cemetery, is the Chapel of John the Baptist. Inside the chapel, a section of mosaic floor from the original Byzantine Armenian church has been preserved. A cavity in the mosaic floor is thought to be the spot where John the Baptist’s head was found. The Convent of the Ascension is only open to visitors for limited hours in the morning during the week, but it is an unforgettable stop for anyone visiting the Mount of Olives. The convent can be accessed via a narrow alleyway off the main street. It is very close to many other interesting sites including the Garden of Gethsemane, the Chapel of the Ascension, the Church of Pater Noster, and the Lutheran Church of the Ascension.
Rabi'a Al'adawiya alley #9
Jerusalem
PS-JEM
Palestinian Territories